Tuesday, April 16, 2013

The Violence of the Human Spirit


I am angry.
I am angry that a human would do this.
I am angry that you will harm another, that the race I belong to, the human race, is capable of such monstrosity.
I am angry that my fellow brothers and sisters are victims of violence.
I am angry because my fellow human beings decided today I will blast, I will harm, I will maime, I will Kill. 
Today, I am angry at the stupidity of mankind. 
Today, I am angry at the spirit of man, the mean, ugly spirit of mankind.
I am angry that a person’s conscience fails them.
Today, I am angry at myself.
I am angry at feeling helpless.
I am angry at watching the world be torn apart.
I am angry at feeling unable to believe in human kind.
But that would mean you would have won.
That would mean that you have succeeded in creating fear in me. 
I won’t let you. 
You WILL NOT cause me fear. 
You WILL NOT cause me injustice.
You WILL NOT cause me to lose hope.
I WILL NOT LET YOU.
I will not let you win.
I will not let you make me feel afraid anymore. I will not let you make me feel angry anymore.
Each day I will do my part. 
I will be as human as I possibly can be. 
I will remember my responsibilities to my fellow man.
But I will not let you make me afraid. I will not let you. 
I will not let you make me forget how much responsibility I have to the people around me.
To the world I belong in. 
To my human race.
You have tried time and time again. You have tested the limits of man. You have broadened the ugliness of man.
But I will not let you win. I will not let this unnamed bastard win. 
Today, I mourn for humanity. 
I mourn for the victims of violence.
But I will rejoice in knowing you have not brought us down. You have failed today. 
I see man, I SEE your ugliness. 
But I see those fighting against it. 
I see the kindness that comes from an unnamed woman giving a child a hug.
From the people that have decided to help each other.
From a global unity of thoughts that go AGAINST what you did.
From the simplicity that people point at your actions and are conscious that what you did is wrong.
I see kindness in the people that have decided to help each other.
In the messages that pour from all over the world for the well being of another.
I choose to believe in the good. 
And those taking action.
And that gives me hope. 
Don’t get me wrong, I am still angry.
But I will be even more angry with myself if I let you win.
And I cannot let that happen, no matter how much you try I WILL NOT LET THAT HAPPEN.
I will keep believing in the good of humanity. I will keep believing in the good of the human spirit.
Because if I do not, I have lost and you have won.
And I will not let that happen. 


*In memory of the victims of violence that have occured all over the world today.
And an 8 year boy who died watching his father cross the finish line.*  

1 comment:

Steve Finnell said...

you are invited to follow my blog